Support brands that support Foodbank Australia. McCain Frozen Peas is used in this recipe.
500g bag McCain Peas
Three tablespoons Ricotta
Two tablespoons of lemon juice
One large Baguette cut into four and cut in half lengthways
Mint for garnish
- Pour the peas into a medium-sized saucepan, and then cover them with water. Bring to a gentle boil, then simmer for a few minutes until the peas are slightly soft. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of cooking liquid.
- Pulse the cooked peas gently with the lemon juice and ricotta. If the mixture is too dry, add the reserved cooking liquid a tablespoon at a time. To taste
- Poach eggs for 3 minutes in water simmering (with vinegar, if desired). Drain the eggs onto kitchen paper towels.
- Toast baguette to be kept warm
- Serve mashed peas on toasted baguettes with poached egg and mint garnish.