This refreshing vodka cocktail recipe features fresh strawberries and basil. This drink can also be served as a mocktail.
You’ll want to file Strawberry Basil Ginger Cocktail in the ” Where has this recipe been my whole life?” section. After your first sip, I promise you that will be what’s on your lips!
This cocktail of fresh herbs and berries with a shot or two of vodka is like a cool shower after a long run or a lawn-mowing session [insert any outdoor activity] on a scorching day.
The translation is the ultimate thirst quencher; it tastes just as good as a mocktail.
Perfect Summer Drink
This refreshing cocktail has been a staple in my home since 2015. I first saw it on the website of my friend Dani Thyme’s Honey.
“Hmm… strawberry and basil?”I can remember thinking. I was curious enough to try it and am so glad I did. Basil is delicious when paired with fruit. Mint is often the herb of choice. You’ll know if you’ve tried my Peach-Basil Fried Goat Cheese Chicken Salad or Strawberry Basil Fried Goat Cheese Chicken Salad.
Bonus: both basil and strawberries are in season now. You could and should often have this easy vodka cocktail for the next few months.
This drink is so refreshing; I cannot stress it enough. It is my favorite drink. It’s so simple to make – only four ingredients are needed!
You can find half of the ingredients for this recipe at the farmer’s markets or in your garden if you have a green thumb. What you’ll need is:
- Strawberries This drink is a delicious way to enjoy the sweet strawberries of summer.
- Basil – Unlike many herbs, basil is a subtle herb, as it appears in this cocktail. You can add more or less according to your taste.
- Vodka: We keep gluten-free Titos vodka frozen, but you can use anything you have on hand.
- Ginger Ale or Ginger Beer: I enjoy this drink equally, whether made with ginger ale or ginger beer. I prefer Fever Tree for both.
Make it a mocktail.
A mocktail is a cocktail without alcohol. This drink tastes just as good without vodka, whether you are pregnant, don’t drink, or want to make something special for your children. It’s a hit with my kids!
This recipe is easy to make.
Add chopped fresh strawberry to a blender, then add shredded basil. Blend until smooth.
Pour the Strawberry Basil Puree into a jar or container with a tight-fitting lid. Set aside. This can be made up to two days before and then chilled until ready to drink. You can freeze it into ice cubes to enjoy summer in the unnamed season.
FYI: the puree might not taste sweet, but the ginger ale/ginger beer will make the drink the right sweetness level.
Fill a 16oz. Glass with ice, add Strawberry-Basil Puree, and top it off with Ginger Ale or Ginger Beer. Stir it up and enjoy it on the deck or patio.
This recipe yields 3 16oz cocktails and can be easily divided or multiplied. The strawberry-basil purée will also be kept in the fridge for two days to enjoy the tasty goodness longer.
Enjoy! I hope you love this simple and refreshing cocktail recipe for summer as much as I did — I hope it’s a hit with you too. !
Strawberry-Basil Ginger Cocktail
Make 3 Cocktails
- 6oz (3/4 cup) vodka
- Strawberry-basil Puree (see below).
- Ginger ale OR ginger beer in 3, 5oz cans (Fever Tree recommended).
- To make the Strawberry-Basil Puree:
- Strawberries, 2 cups, chopped.
- Six basil leaves torn
- Pour the Strawberry-Basil Puree, and add basil and strawberries to a powerful blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a mason jar or another container with a tightly fitting lid. Strain, if desired. It can be prepared up to two days in advance.
- Fill 3 16oz glasses or pint glasses with ice to the top. Pour 2oz (1/4 cup) vodka into each Glass, add 1/3 cup of strawberry basil puree and 5oz of ginger ale/beer, then mix. You can combine all the vodka, puree strawberry-basil, and ginger ale/beer in a pitcher, then mix to combine. Serve garnished with a basil leaf or sliced strawberries.
- If you want to serve this as a mocktail, follow the instructions above but leave out the vodka.
- From Thyme Is Honey