The ingredients for the perfect breakfast are puff pastry as well as cheese, mushrooms, and eggs. Enjoy!
Cheesy Sauce2 tbsp (40g) butter
2 tbsp plain flour
¾ cup (185ml) milk
Salt to taste
½ cup (50g) pizza blend cheese
Breakfast Tart1 tbsp olive oil
100g sliced button mushrooms
One small clove of garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper
¼ cup pesto (65g) plus extra to serve
One sheet of puff pastry, just thawed
Four small eggs
- Make butter by melting it in a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat. Mix into flour. Cook for one minute.
- Pour the milk into two batches, mixing thoroughly every time. Continue stirring until there aren’t any lumps. This should take around 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix in cheese and salt. Set aside
- Bake at 220°C/200°C (fan-forced). Cover a baking tray with baking parchment.
- When you are working inside your pastry circle, cut smaller squares approx. 1-1 1/2 cm away from the edge. Prick the middle of the pastry a few times using a fork. Bake for 10 minutes. The cake should be golden brown and puffed up.
- Push the cooked pastry’s center down and then spoon the cheese sauce over it, leaving the pastry’s border unobstructed. Dollop over pesto, then arrange mushrooms on top, leaving enough room for eggs to nestle into
- Crack eggs into each dish and sprinkle it using salt and pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until egg whites are cooked and yolks remain liquid.
- Allow 5 minutes to stand. Cut into four large pieces, and serve warm.