Make sure you support the brands that aid Foodbank. This recipe was made using Helga’s Traditional Wholemeal Bread wrapped in bacon.
50g butter, melted
Six slices of Helga’s Traditional Wholemeal bread, crusts removed and reserved
Six rashers streaky bacon, cut in half lengthways
40g baby spinach
1/3 cup shredded tasty cheese
Chives, snipped, to serve
- Bake at 190°C until the oven is heated. Paint a muffin tin using half the butter that has been melted for egg cups. Line an oven tray to bake bacon dippers.
- Carefully roll each slice of bread into a flat shape using the rolling pin. Press each bread slice into the muffin hole you have prepared. Apply the remaining butter.
- Wrap a bacon strip around each crust, then place it on the baking tray. Bake both baking trays in the oven for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven, and turn the bacon pieces over. Put a handful of spinach leaves in the bread cups and then divide the cheese equally among the cups. Carefully crack eggs into each cup.
- Make sure to place the tray back into the oven for another 15 minutes or until the egg is done and the bacon pieces are crisp.
- Take them out of the oven and let the cups cool in the pan for 5 minutes prior to removing them. Serve with chives sprinkled on top with salt and pepper.
- Dip bacon pieces into gooey eggs, and then have fun!