A healthy Croque Madame that is easy to make and includes mushrooms for added vitamins. Croque Monsieur and Croque Madame are both made with grilled ham and cheese and white sauce. The difference is that Croque Madame also has an egg on top.
Two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
200g mushrooms, sliced
½ leek, thinly sliced
One tablespoon of plain flour
3/4 cup skim milk
Two teaspoons of Dijon mustard
3/4 cup baby spinach leaves, plus extra to serve (optional)
2/3 cup light, tasty cheese, finely grated
Four large slices of wholemeal sourdough
Finely chopped chives to serve
Baby herbs to garnish (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan on medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from pan and season.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat. Cook leek for 4 minutes, until soft. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Stirring constantly, add the milk gradually to avoid lumps. Stirring constantly, cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Add the mustard and 1/3 cup cheese. Season to taste
- Spread the leek mixture on both slices of bread. Add a layer of each of the mushrooms, spinach, and remaining cheese. Sandwich with the remaining bread. Toast the sandwich for four minutes in a press until golden brown.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp oil in a non-stick pan on high heat. Cook the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes until the whites have set but the yolks remain runny.
- To serve, top each sandwich with a fried egg. Sprinkle with chives, baby herbs, and parsley.