This is a fantastic combination of hot potato rosti and poached egg. It’s delicious to look at and even more so to eat.
750g Desiree potatoes
Three green onions (shallots), finely chopped
Two tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
Pinch cayenne pepper
Two tbsp grapeseed oil
Four large eggs at room temperature
50g baby spinach leaves
Extra chopped flat-leaf parsley to serve
- Preheat oven to 200degC fan-forced. Peel and coarsely grated potatoes. Place the potatoes in a sieve and squeeze firmly to remove any excess liquid. Place grated potatoes into a large bowl. Add the green onions, cayenne, and parsley. Add seasoning, drizzle one tbs of oil, and mix to combine.
- Pour the remaining one tbsp of oil into a 20cm ovenproof pan. Brush the base and sides of the pan, then heat on medium heat. Spread potato mixture in pan, and gently press it to create an even layer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until the potato is almost done. Bake the pan in the oven for 15 minutes or until the top of the potato is golden.
- Poach the eggs at the end of the cooking process in a large pan half-filled with water. This should take 3 minutes to get a soft yolk or 4 minutes to get a semiset yolk.
- Slide the potato rosti onto a board. Divide into quarters and place on plates. Each wedge should be topped with poached eggs and spinach leaves. Sprinkle parsley over the top, season to taste and serve.